Renter FAQ


How should I think about roommates, significant others, etc.?

This is a fun one to explain, briefly speaking:

  • If you're married or in a civil union, you don't need to do anything extra; your plan automatically protects your spouse. Dependent children are also covered automatically.
  • If you live with your significant other but you're not married or in a civil union, he or she does not automatically enjoy the benefits of protection because there is no formal legal link between the two of you, and you should add him or her to your plan. This is because you very likely own joint property, and so adding your S.O. to your plan is the best way to ensure that you're both fully covered.
  • The rule of thumb is if a relative living in the household is dependent upon the policyholder like an elder parent/grandparent or sick aunt/uncle, they are also covered under the policy.  Otherwise relatives living in the household should be added as a “Significant Other” or purchase their own plan.
  • Plain old roommates can't share a plan with you, so they should sign up separately for their own plans.



Don’t see what you need?

Contact Us